Thursday, October 07, 2004

Pattern and yarn issues

If you have been reading my blog you've seen the swatch I made for the vest. It is a simple rib pattern, like this:

k--kkk--k--kkk--k
k--kkk--k--kkk--k
kk--k--kkk--k--kk
kk--k--kkk--k--kk

k = knit, - = purl

Looks easy, doesn't it? Duh, either it is the dark yarn that makes it difficult or I am excessively dense, there is not a row I knit where I discover a mistake later on which I haven't realized while knitting it. My biggest fear is finishing the garment and then discovering one of my "knit-instead-of-purl" or vice versa on it. Ever had the same problem?

A totally other issue is my being such a yarn snob. Last year I bought some "Paton's Decor" which was supposed to become a child's sweater (you know, being able to wash it in the machine etc). I started said sweater but left it to itself too long and then my godchild had outgrown the pattern. Okay, I thought, let's knit a simple ribbed sweater for my husband - no loss there. I bought two more skeins, started it about three times and ended up ripping it out each time. It's not what I knit, it's the yarn that makes me dislike it so much. I'd rather knit my hands raw with pure, scratchy wool than knit with this kind of acrylic (and it has actually 25% wool in it) again. My point is, I don't even want it in my knitting basket anymore...eBay here we come. Doesn't that sound very snobby to you?

No comments: